Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Tailgating: Seven Layer Dip

Last week, you may have noticed a post on Eat, Play, Roam about the wonders of CountryFest. If not, be forewarned: I love Kenny Chesney. With any event like CountryFest, where there's an absolute abundance of cowboy boots and cutoffs, or a football, there will be tailgating. Food tastes so much better eaten outside, on the bed of a truck, with loads of friends and beer. For our pre-concert tailgating, I made a couple snacks, including the following recipe for seven layer dip.

Let me tell you, there is not much better than salty tortilla chips and seven layer dip. With a side of a Bud light Lime-a-rita, of course! I sent the leftovers home with my good friend Katie, and heard she enjoyed it quite a bit! ;)

Everyone has a different way of making seven layer dip, for instance, I add guacamole to mine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Make it for your last summer BBQ :) I don't care what anyone says, summer isn't over yet!

Ingredients! Please ignore my Starbucks and cooling cookies. I promise I'll share the cookies with you! But not my Starbucks. My apologies for the crowded photos, but my tiny kitchen was not made for picture taking!

Here we've got refried beans, chopped green onions, diced red onions, sour cream, salsa, lime juice, taco seasoning, mexican blend shredded cheese, and an avocado!


Mix the refried beans and taco seasoning in a bowl and spread along the bottom of your pan.




Spread the sour cream over the refried beans.


Make your guac: smash up an avocado with 1 tablespoon diced red onion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. I have no shame in admitting I eat it with a spoon!


 Spread it over the sour cream.



Then top with salsa, then cheese, then green onions and jalapeños if you'd like!


Yum! What's your favorite tailgating food?

P.S. Anybody know anything about enhancing food photos with photoshop elements?


Seven Layer Dip
  • 1 can refried beans (16 oz.)
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 container sour cream (8 oz.)
  • 1 cup guacamole (For my guacamole, I mash an avocado with 1 tablespoon diced red onion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon salt)
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 cup shredded mexican blend cheese
  • 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
  • diced jalapeño (for garnish)

1. In a small bowl mix the refried beans and taco seasonings.
2. Spread the mixture in a 8x8 tin foil pan (easy for tailgating!)
3. Next, layer the sour cream followed by the guacamole and salsa.
4. Top the dip off with cheese, green onions, and jalapeños.
5. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment