Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Boston has been extra rainy this month. Isn't rain supposed to happen in April? April showers bring May flowers? No? Okay. Anyway, yesterday was particularly gross, and so soup was made. Baked potato soup to be exact. Loaded. And grilled cheese sandwiches. With ham.

Hungry yet? I am. Even though it's 10 a.m. My Chobani isn't cutting it today. Just so everyone knows, the blood orange chobani is the shit. Back to the soup. I love soup. I went to dinner with my Dad on Saturday, (Gheppetto's Grille - Which is amazing. Thanks, Dad!) and we were chatting about my childhood obsession with clam chowder. I ordered the stuff every single place we went. Every single one. I've probably sampled over 100 different kinds of clam chowder. Which is probably the main reason why I can't eat it anymore. It's very sad.

Sidenote: I'm very mad at myself for not taking pictures at restaurants I've been going to. I'm sitting down this weekend and figuring out to use the manual mode on my camera. Anybody know what a Coolpix P100 does?

Anyway, even though I can't stomach clam chowder, (as a Bostonian, I realize that this is probably punishable to the fullest extent of the law) I do love almost every other kind of soup. Even other forms of chowder. Which is basically what baked potato soup is. I searched for a recipe yesterday, and found quite a few I liked but I ended up making my own version. One thing though, don't be like me and have to strain your soup because you accidentally turned the burner to medium-high instead of medium-low when you add the flour to the milk. Oops. Also, stir it pretty much constantly until it thickens. Don't turn your back on it. It gets angry. But then it gets delicious.


Oh, I'm also a professional grilled cheese maker. I don't know if you knew that about me. Ha.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

  • 8 large-ish potatoes
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 half gallon milk (I used skim because I realize this recipe is evil)
  • half pound of bacon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/4 cups cheddar jack cheese
  • sliced green onions

1. Bake potatoes in a 375 degree oven for 60 minutes, until tender. Let cool while bacon cooks. *You can do the potatoes in the microwave too, and save yourself a lot of time. But since my microwave is useless, it takes about the same amount of time to just do them in the oven.

2. Spread bacon on a cookie sheet and bake in 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes, until done.

3. Peel and chop potatoes into small pieces. Chop bacon into small pieces as well.

4. Pour milk into a large pot over medium-low heat, and add flour. Whisk until there are no lumps. Continue whisking until milk and flour mixture thickens. Stir in seasonings.

5. Once thick, add potatoes, bacon pieces (leave a little for a garnish), sour cream, and cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted. Mash potatoes pieces in the pot with a potato masher, if you like.

6. Serve immediately. Garnish with extra cheese, green onions, and bacon.

I think I'll get about 6 bowls of this stuff. Keep in mind it is super filling, so it's more like half bowl servings!


No comments:

Post a Comment