Thursday, May 17, 2012

Restaurant Rundown: Happy's Bar + Kitchen

One of my best friends, Liz and I went to this brand spanking new restaurant called Happy's last night that opened last week on Boylston Street. It's the newest restaurant by the same chef that opened Tico downtown, which I've only heard good things about. My dad happened to see Happy's on Chronicle last week and how they have scorpion bowl-like drinks with Swedish fish in them! Sounds fun, no? It's like your given an excuse to eat alcoholic candy and not trying to sneak those damn addictive vodka-gummy bears.

Photo from BostonTweet

So we decided to try it. I have to say, I wasn't that impressed. Granted, it's a brand new restaurant, and I will still go back in a few months to try it again, but it just didn't wow me like I wanted it to. They do also have brunch though, and I will definitely be trying that!

The atmosphere of the place is pretty cool (I LOVED this light fixture made of teacups and spoons. I want one.)

Photo from Happy's

However, those "drink bowls"? They are almost $40. Each. Crazy! We ended up with beer. Of course. We work at a microbrewery, it usually ends up that way. We had the duck tacos for an appetizer, and they were good, but a seriously small portion. We got two mini tacos for $9. The "TV dinner" for the night was fried chicken with coleslaw, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a little mini cheesecake. I must say, it was cute. They served it in a plate made to look like an actual TV dinner tray. The food was good, but I've definitely had better fried chicken. Liz had the short ribs, which came with noodles, and they were good. But for some reason, I firmly believe short ribs should come with mashed potatoes. It's natural.

I had planned all day to actually use my camera and take pictures of our food, but I forgot. I'm an idiot. So, what's left is just my opinion on this place. It was decent, but kind of expensive. Like I said, I'll go back in a few months to give it another shot and I really hope the brunch is good. They did have Magic Hat #9 though, which does make me like it more!

I'm in the process of making a sourdough bread starter, and then will try my hand at making bread. I'm nervous! But my starter is doing all the weird things its supposed to, like bubbling and smelling sour and generally creeping me out, so I think it's working. Hopefully, I'll be making the bread this weekend and then posting the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment