Thursday, March 15, 2012

Je veux aller partout.

     I want to go everywhere. There are so many things I want to see and do before I settle down. Everyone says that, and a fortunate few actually get to experience the world. I want to be like that person who sells everything and backpacks around the world, working odd jobs and getting paid under the table until it's time to move on to the next adventure. At the same time, I realize that it is not as easy as it sounds (though some may argue) and that it requires a certain kind of person. While I certainly want wings, I also want roots. I want a home, and a good size kitchen, and to live near(ish) to the beach. I want to see things and then come home and grab a good book, and ride my (fictional, as of now) horse. And own a bed and breakfast. And a bakery. And, and, and...

     For now, my plan is to vacation. If I ever am given the opportunity to travel again whether for work or for any other reason, I will jump on it. Unfortunately, I let two opportunitys pass me by already. The first a student ambassador program to Austrailia and New Zealand in high school, but I don't think I was emotionally ready for that then. The second, more recently, was a month long trip with school to Ireland. As much as I wanted to go, I wanted an apartment in Boston, and also realized that when I go to Ireland, I don't want to spoil it with classes. I hate school, and being told what to do and when to go see what. As amazing as it would have been, I don't totally regret that decision (aside from school forcing me to pay for some of the trip I didn't go on - special, right?), because when I do get there it will be on my own terms. As of now, my only option is to plan and save like a fool and avoid almost all unnecessary expenses. Easier said than done in Boston, but I'm going to try like hell.

     Anyway, the reason for this rant like thing, is that one of my best friends from home, Katie, and I were talking recently about what we want to do with our lives. We both want to go somewhere, and seeing as I'm graduating in the spring, we started talking about a trip to Paris with a few days in London. Then this happened on a long train ride home:



I have a problem. I plan like a crazy person. But it was so fun reading about Paris! I knew of the big things, but there is so much I could never have dreamed of. And so, the countdown begins. About 14 months until I graduate, with a trip planned for June/July. Now to only get over my fear of flying...

No comments:

Post a Comment