Monday, March 19, 2012

St. Patty's Day Supper

    Me (last week): Yes! St. Patrick's Day is this weekend, I'm going to make corned beef and cabbage! And soda bread! And Guinness brownies! Yum!
    Me (after working 13+ hours on Saturday because we got so busy at the restuarant): So. tired. Must eat something. Cold corned beef out of crock-pot it is.

     This weekend i was only supposed to work a morning shift on Saturday and one on Sunday. Which is perfect because then I still get my nights off. I had big plans for this weekend. For one, I had Guinness in my refrigerator after making Irish Car Bomb cupcakes a few weeks ago (recipe coming soon). So I needed to do something with it, and I ended up deciding on brownies on Friday night. They came out prettttttty damn good.

     Then, Saturday morning came around and I was so excited to make my corned beef. I decided to put the corned beef and vegetables in my crockpot and then cook the cabbage on the stove later in butter. Then I would make soda bread and we would have a feast! I alos had planned on spiking some heavy cream with whiskey and topping the brownies with that homemade whipped cream... Oh, that would have been good.

     Well, then I got to work, and we got SLAMMED so I never left until almost close. So my corned beef sat sad and alone in my crockpot for 5 hours longer than it needed to. My crockpot shuts off automatically after the time you've set it for, which is wonderful. But it was still so sad :(

     I would post the recipe for the corned beef, but literally all I did was put it in the crockpot, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and some ground thyme and allspice, pop new potatoes all around it, pour in a half a cup of Guinness, put some carrots and an onion cut into wedges on top, then pour in a cup of water. And set it for 8 hours in the crockpot on low. So easy. I already have a recipe I want to try for next year though! But I feel like it may make an appearance sooner...

     So, with my sad tale of St. Patrick's Day, I will leave you with Guinness brownies. And definitely make the whiskey-spiked whipped cream to go with it. I also don't have a picture because they went FAST.

     Hope ya got some leprechaun kisses this St. Patty's day.

Guinness Brownies
Adapted slightly from Blondie's Cakes

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups dark bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 large cans Guinness beer
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13" pan. (I used two 8 x 8's because some of them were traveling)
  2. Pour the beer into a medium saucepan, and simmer on medium heat until it's reduced down to 1 1/4 cups. It took mine about 20 minutes to reduce. I measured 1 1/4 cups into a mason jar and kept it next to an empty one. When I thought I was getting close, I poured the beer to be level with the example water jar. It ended up being a little bit more, and I'm impatient. But they still came out great.
  3. In a bowl mix together flour, cocoa, and salt.
  4. Melt butter, bittersweet chocolate and white chips in the microwave in a heatproof bowl. Stir after every 30 seconds.
  5. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add melted chocolate mixture, beating until combined.
  6. Beat reserved flour mixture into melted chocolate mixture. Whisk in the reduced beer mixture and the vanilla.  Pour into the prepared baking pan and drop semisweet chocolate chips evenly on top of batter.
  7. Bake about 25 minutes on center rack in the oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
  8. Let brownies cool, uncovered, to room temperature.
Remember to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment