Friday, March 30, 2012

Maybe the arena is a giant cake...

Oh, The Hunger Games. By now, most of the world has read the book, seen the movie, or both. For a book with such a morbid, scary plot people have flocked to it in droves. It's kind of easy to see why, if you think about it.


First, it's plausible. Unlike certain vampire/werewolf series (not knocking, just saying), it has a plot that is something that could potentially happen to our world if there happened to be a catastrophic event. Second, although the love triangle thing is slightly over done, this series goes about it in a different way by having the heroine be a serious bad-ass who is naive and not even remotely thinking about love, while also having the setting for the triangle be a massive arena where kids fight to die. Yea, I'd say that's slightly unorthodox. And last, it's just fascinating. The make-up of the capitol seems to be what the Nicki Minaj's and Lady GaGa's of the world are doing in Hollywood. So, while far-fetched, its not THAT far fetched. I loved all the books, and have re-read them each about 8 times. It's just a very different story that is easy to get lost in. You WANT Katniss and Peeta to kick the capitol's ass. You WANT the districts to rebel. You want the same things these characters want, and to read about them fighting for it is a vehicle to another reality. Really great books. Except for the second half of Mockingjay, which felt way too rushed. Like someone said 'Hey! We have a huge series here. Get the third book out ASAP!' And it just didn't work. While the epilogue is okay, the part leading up to it is just ehh.


“Deep in the meadow, under the willow
a bed of grass, a soft green pillow
lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
and when again they open, the sun will rise.
Here it's safe, here it's warm
here the daisies guard you from every harm
here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
here is the place where i love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when it's morning again, they'll wash away
Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.”
-Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games


As for the movie, I loved it. I thought they did a really fantastic job. I'm not into spoilers, so I'm not going to give it all away here, but I really didn't think they left out too much. A few parts, yea maybe they could have spent a little more screen time on, but overall it was good. We were able to get peaks into a world that you weren't able to get through the books. The visuals were fantastic and Jennifer Lawrence is incredible. I think she would be my best friend, if you know I was famous and lived in Hollywood, too. I'm seeing the movie for the second time tonight, and I have a feeling I'll like it even more :)


Also, I laughed at this way more than I probably should have.
From Pinterest



Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment