Thursday, March 1, 2012

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

Monday night I was able to get free tickets for my friend Shannon and myself to an early screening of Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor’s new romantic comedy, “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.” It’s always fun to go to these screenings (we used to get some passes from the promoter’s at the restaurant I work at because we’re close to a movie theater) because they make sure it’s a full house, and the press is usually there writing reviews for the papers.



This movie was good! I was a little surprised. If I hadn’t gotten the passes, it’s one of those movies that probably would have just slipped under my radar, but I’m so glad we went! Emily Blunt is of course fantastic in everything that she does, and this is no different. She plays a fund manager for a Sheik from Yemen who wants to build his own salmon fishery in the desert of Yemen. Ewan McGregor plays an awkward fish scientist who is assigned to the project. It’s a beautifully done movie, with gorgeous shots of Scotland and “Yemen” (which is actually Morocco in the film). It was a fun, new way to see a relationship progress, rather than the awful romantic comedies that are out these days (I mean you, “I Don’t Know How She Does It”).
The coolest thing about this screening is that Emily Blunt was actually there after the movie to do a Q & A session with a reporter from the Boston Globe. I took some pictures and video, but we were pretty far back in the theater and apparently my iPhone doesn’t zoom well. Who knew.
Emily, adorable as she is, also brought her husband, John Krasinski’s parents with her to the screening. How cute is that.
Anyway, I definitely recommend this movie. It was funny, smart with beautiful scenery and a rather unorthodox storyline. Worth watching – See it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment