Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sausage and Tortellini Soup

We've talked before about my love affair with soups. I don't know why I love them, but I do. Yesterday, it was freaking COLD. Too cold for June. While that sucked, it totally gave me a reason to make some soup. I found a recipe for a sausage and tortellini soup, and it sounded so good that I put my own version of it together. It was really good! Can't wait to have some leftovers today. Easiest soup ever for a crappy weekday night.

Sidenote: I'd really love to make homemade tortellini. I hate ricotta cheese, and they all use that as a filler! Hmm...

Also, has anyone ever been to a Wegmans before? I went on Sunday, and I think I'm in love. LOVE. This place had everything! Cheese, (Oh man, the cheese! There were aisles of it!) wine (Black Box Cabernet Sauvignon was only $18. Here in Boston, it's almost $30. It's delicious boxed wine, let me tell you.). I also bought 2 lbs. of the most delicious strawberries for like $2. Insane. I really liked this grocery store and was unaware that one could love a food store so much. I have now learned. It was extremely crowded on a Sunday afternoon, and I didn't get to browse as much as I would have liked. I would absolutely make the drive to go on a Monday morning once my internship is over. I also just saw that they're opening one in Chestnut Hill which is way closer to me than Northborough. Oh man, I would be so happy. The steak I bought from there was delicious as well, and they had mixed bags of fingerlings potatoes which roasted up with some garlic just perfectly! Mmmm... hungry just thinking about it.

Anyway back to the important stuff. Here is the recipe for the sausage and tortellini soup! Enjoy :)



Sausage and Tortellini Soup

  • 1 pound ground Italian Sausage (I accidentally grabbed the hot sausage. Unexpected awesome flavor!)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 3 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 3/4 cup red wine (Black Box worked very well here)
  • 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup carrots, sliced
  • 1/2 cup celery, sliced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 8 ounces cheese Tortellini


1. Brown sausage, onion, and garlic in a pot over medium heat until sausage is cooked through.
2. Add beef broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, and celery and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
3. Add Italian seasoning and tortellini and cook until tortellini is done. Serve with some crusty bread.

I'm all over the place today, but can someone buy me a new blender? Or have recommendations for a quality (cheap-ish) one? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment